Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Random thoughts today

It's a yucky day outside today - cold, rainy, windy. The leaves are pretty much gone from the trees at our house - the transition of leaves happens so quickly. We have two trees that I just love this time of year. They are along the highway and when they turn color, they become a very vibrant orange/pink. Sounds like a weird combination but they're awesome! Josie and I haven't had a chance yet to rake some up and jump in them - - hopefully on Saturday we'll be able to do that.

I have parent/teacher conference in a couple of weeks - I'm curious to hear the report from the teacher. Josie comes home each day with a report about how one kid hit another kid or how one kid threw something at someone else - but amazingly enough, she always follows up with "but mom, it wasn't me I promise." I just have to laugh - time will tell and truth be told, I will not be surprised to learn that she is involved in some (if not all) of these happenings :)

I had lunch with my sister-in-law on Monday. We've gotten to know each other a lot better in the last couple of years and I'm very thankful for that. She's a great person and would do anything for anyone simply because she knows it's the right thing to do.

Yesterday I had lunch with a friend of mine from Times Citizen newspaper (where I used to work). She still works there and hates every minute of it. I was only there about 6 months and the place was nuts - very poor management. It was all about who could kiss butt the best and who was willing to do the most for the boss with little or no recognition. A lot of office politics and sadly, it sounds like it's only getting worse instead of better. I never have understood the point of "politics" like that - no one ever got any real work done because everyone was running all over the building tattling on each other. I dealt with that enough through junior high and high school - why do it now too??

Today Josie has early out and as soon as she gets off the bus, we're heading to a dentist appointment. Poor kid has bad teeth like me - she had a bad cavity a couple weeks ago that the dentist took care of (her first experience with novicane - spelling?). Anyway, getting another one taken care of today and then she has dance. Tonight I think we're going to go to the high school volleyball game - our neighbor's (also our best friends) daughter plays and it's the first round of tournaments so Josie and I will be cheering them on.

The rest of the week should be pretty quiet. Saturday is Angel Food day so I'll be up bright and early at 4am (it's going to be COLD) and head to the pick up site in Cedar Falls with five other people. It's actually a pretty fun day - I really look forward to it each month.

Well I suppose that's enough random rambling for now. I should get a couple loads of laundry folded and put away before the bus gets into town. :)

No comments: